If you want to become an expert in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration or a specialist in one of the mentioned fields, there are some steps to be taken first.
Featured HVAC Schools in Maine:
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Construction Management
What are the Steps to Becoming an Expert in HVACR?
First thing you should do is to gain knowledge related to the cooling and heating systems, then you should enroll into one of the internship programs within the state and pass the license examination.
- Education – By signing up on a HVAC program, you will develop a wide range of skills crucial for a job in this field. The skills are related to:
- installing the units
- repairing and servicing
- maintaining the appliances
- thermal control
Besides the knowledge and skills related to the mechanisms inside of the HVAC appliances, every HVAC technician must demonstrate a high level of interpersonal and communication skills such as the customer service skill.
- Internship – A HVAC internship position may help you in getting a great job position after you graduate. It can provide an excellent on-the-job training so you can become more qualified. It can as well help you become more specialized in the field of your interests and help you decide what HVAC career path you would like to follow. There are internship programs that are related to:
- engineering (plant, buildings, mechanics, structural engineering)
- construction project management
- electrical circuits
- documentation, drawing and creating the reports
- Licence – There are some states that don’t require the state licence for working as a HVACR technician. Maine’s State Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers provides free training in the Plumbing Code. You may have to receive a certain number of hours of training in order to be able to pass the licensure examinations.
Where Can You Get Education in HVAC Industry?
The relevant knowledge can be gained by attending courses provided on the Maine’s colleges and universities. You can check some on the list below:
- Southern Maine Community College offers Associate Degree in Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Plumbing. The College’s mission is to educate students in controlling the temperature, reading blueprints and servicing and installing the components within the HVACR systems. The program includes basics in electricity, refrigeration, heating and air conditioning.
- Eastern Maine Community College offers a program in Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating Technology. By attending this program, you will become an expert in troubleshooting and will acquire knowledge related to both commercial and industrial HVAC equipment. The EMCC also provides HVAC licenses and certificates for the graduates.
- Washington County Community College provides students with certificates, diplomas and programs for earning the associate degree in Heating Technology program. Upon graduation, students will be qualified heating and oil technicians. They can also work as salesmen in the HVAC specialized stores.
Both the internship and studying programs can provide various employment opportunities and as an intern, you will gain a lot of hands-on experience and develop the crucial skills. Keep in mind that annual salaries in Maine start from $29,000 so every work experience you are able to get is relevant in order to start earning more than $60,000 per year.