HVAC can be defined as the knowledge related to heating and cooling systems. The abbreviation stands for heating, ventilation and air conditioning.
Climate changes, both hot and cold weather provide a lot of work opportunities for HVAC technicians. But before one becomes a HVAC technician, he or she should gain relevant education and develop much needed skills.
Featured HVAC Schools in Florida
- Has specialized in career training since 1982.
- Offers beginning to advanced training in computer repair, medical assisting, cosmetology, nursing, and more.
- Continually maintains programs according to industry needs by working closely with industry experts and employers.
- Provides well-equipped training facilities to give students the advantage of hands-on training.
- Its instructors attend seminars and workshops to keep current with new technology and topics.
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (11-month diploma program)
- Earn Your Degree at Fortis College. Flexible Scheduling. Apply Now!
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration - Diploma
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration
- And more...
- HVAC/R with PLC - Diploma
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Applied Electronics Technology- HVAC Major (Associate's)
- Applied Electronics Technology- HVAC Major (Diploma)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Jurisprudence with concentration in Land Management (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Land Management (Certificate) - Online
What Skills do You Need to Become a HVAC Technician?
To be able to efficiently work as a HVAC technician, you have got to develop some crucial skills. Some of the skills that will make you an expert in HVAC technology are:
- Troubleshooting – It is important to be able to answer questions that customers ask both over the phone and in person, and to be able to analyze, diagnose and solve a problem with a HVAC unit.
- Mechanical – These skills can be learned and developed by training for a HVAC technician. Mechanical skills include knowledge about the tools used to install, repair and maintain appliances, safety tips, and also the knowledge on how to properly use power tools and other. Basic math is also included in the development of these skills.
- Time-management – Besides providing exceptional service, HVAC technicians should try to finish their work as fast as possible, so being organized is essential. Being able to manage your time, means that you can spend it effectively on a specific activity and also achieve more in less time.
- Communication – Every technician has to have great communication skills in order to interact with customers. Great communication includes politeness, listening skill and providing Question & Answer service to customers. You should learn how to respect and listen to your customers and how to act friendly but professional at the same time.
Besides listed skills, it is crucial to be detail-oriented. When solving a problem, it is needed to focus on small parts in HVAC appliances.
Top 4 HVAC Schools in Florida
There are a lot of different colleges in Florida that offer degrees in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration technology. Here is a list of some schools that provide certificates in HVAC:
- Indian River State College
- Miami Dade College
- Palm Beach State College
- Seminole State College of Florida
There are also the associate’s degree programs. Colleges that offer these programs are Miami Dade College and Indian River State College. Diplomas you can obtain are: Associate of Science and Associate of Applied Science in Air Conditioning, Refrigeration and Heating Systems Technology.
What Will a Diploma in HVAC Technology Bring You?
Since Florida is known by its warm climate, you will have a lot of customers for the air conditioning systems’ installations.
Median annual income is around $40,000, but if you gain knowledge in electricity and electrical circuits, your salary can go up to $95,000 as service electricians can earn that much.
By studying for a HVAC technician, you can provide temperature comfort in residential buildings (such as those with apartments or family homes) and in commercial or industrial facilities.
When the climate is warm, people want to be able to have the desired temperature both indoors and inside of their vehicles.